From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] where did lvm installation guide go?
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 00:31:13
1 On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 4:19 PM, <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
2 > On Thu, Aug 29 2013, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
3 >
4 >> As James said, the docs are being reorganized. However, I did a
5 >> systemd+LVM installation (just because I was getting tired of not
6 >> knowing what the fuss was all about), and (in my experience) there are
7 >> almost no changes from the regular installation in the handbook.
8 >>
9 >> I put everything in LVM (/, /boot, everything).
10 >
11 > I am not so ambitious. /+/boot+/usr one ext4 partition not on lvm
12 >
13 >> From my notes, the only changes are:
14 >>
15 >>>From the livecd:
16 >> 1. Use partitions, not whole disks (GRUB2 got confused when I tried to
17 >> use whole disks).
18 >> 2. Set the partition type as LVM (8e in fdisk).
19 >> 3. Create the Physical Volume, the Volume Group, and the Logical
20 >> Volumes as desired.
21 >> 4. Continue the normal installation, just using /dev/vg0/lvolX (or
22 >> whatever names you choose).
23 >
24 > There is a little more (activating or something the LVs) especially if
25 > you shutdown in the middle of the installation and resume it later.
26 >
27 >> After the chroot and emerging the kernel package:
28 >> 1. Se the LVM options in the kernel. Compile, install it.
29 >> 2. Emerge systemd.
30 >> 3. Emerge dracut (USE="device-mapper", DRACUT_MODULES="systemd lvm", at least).
31 >> 4. Set add_dracutmodules="systemd" in /etc/dracut.conf.
32 >> 5. Weirdly, set lvmconf="no" in /etc/dracut.conf. I didn't even
33 >> touched /etc/lvm/lvm.conf, so I think leaving it out makes dracut to
34 >> autoconfigure it. If I put lvmconf="yes", the boot hangs. Didn't
35 >> investigated why.
36 >> 6. Emerge GRUB2 (USE="device-mapper mount"); I don't know if GRUB
37 >> works with LVM, but GRUB2 does, so I used that.
38 >> 7. Set GRUB_PRELOAD_MODULES="lvm",
39 >> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd", in
40 >> /etc/default/grub.
41 >> 8. Generate initramfs, generate /boot/grub2/grub.cfg, install GRUB2
42 >> with grub2-install.
43 >> 9. Reboot. Everything works.
44 >>
45 >> GRUB2 handles LVM just fine, I believe, but my LVM setup was dead
46 >> simple (the VG was just the only partition of all my disks).
47 >> dracut+systemd takes care of everything else; I didn't even had to do
48 >> something special in fstab, since I used labels.
49 >>
50 >> To extend/reduce your Logical Volumes you will need a livecd, or a
51 >> more complex initramfs, though.
52 >>
53 >> Regards.
54 >
55 > I have experience with LVM, but not systemd or dracut or initramfs
56 >
57 > * both grub and grub2 support lvm
58
59 Does GRUB legacy handles /boot in LVM? I haven't tried that yet.
60
61 > * Never did 2,3,4,5,7, or the initramfs part of 8
62 >
63 > My goal is to have this system (an older laptop) setup like my current
64 > laptop (grub2, openrc, root+/usr, etc). Then I will convert OLD to
65 > systemd. Once I have done this and moved my work from CURRENT to OLD, I
66 > will convert CURRENT to systemd and move back.
67
68 That sounds complex.
69
70 > thanks to you and james for your helpful comments.
71
72 Regards.
73 --
74 Canek Peláez Valdés