From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Flexibility and robustness in the Linux organisim
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 21:41:54
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 29/09/2013 18:33, Dale wrote:
3 >>> that gnome is very hostile when it comes to KDE or choice is not news.
4 >>>> And their dependency on systemd is just the usual madness. But they are
5 >>>> not to blame for seperate /usr and the breakage it causes.
6 >> If not, then what was it? You seem to know what it was that started it
7 >> so why not share?
8 >>
9 > He already said it. Someone added a hard disk to a PDP-9 (or was it an 11?)
10 >
11 > Literally. It all traces back to that. In those days there was no such
12 > thing as volume management or raid. If you added a (seriously expensive)
13 > disk the only feasible way to get it's storage in the system was to
14 > mount it as a separate volume.
15 >
16 > >From that one single action this entire mess of separate /usr arose as
17 > folks discovered more and more reasons to consider it good and keep it
18 > around
21 That wasn't the question tho. My question wasn't about many years ago
22 but who made the change that broke support for a seperate /usr with no
23 init thingy. The change that happened in the past few years.
24
25 I think I got my answer already tho. Seems William Hubbs answered it
26 but I plan to read his message again. Different thread tho.
27
28 Dale
29
33 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!