From: Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] different strange kernel name - 2.6.24-gentoo-r4-g506ab20b-dirty
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 13:58:18
1 On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 11:05:07AM +0800, Penguin Lover Chuanwen Wu squawked:
2 > 1, Why I got a new kernel image(2.6.24-gentoo-r4-gb921d0de-dirty)
3 > instead of using the old one (2.6.24-gentoo-r4-g506ab20b-dirty) ? As I
4 > know if I add/change something as modules, all I need to do is "make
5 > && make modules_install", and I don't need to install the kernel image
6 > again and reboot my OS because all the changes are in modules and the
7 > kernel image is all the same - fixed me please if I'm wrong.
8 > 2, Why the kernel image including my codes have a very strange name
9 > - 2.6.24-gentoo-r4-g506ab20b-dirty.
12 If you are coding for the kernel, I certainly hope you read the docs!
13
14 Here's something from the help menu that pops up when you go to
15 make menuconfig
16 > General Setup > Automatically append version information to the version string
17 and hit help for that entry
18
19 "This will try to automatically determine if the current tree is a
20 release tree by looking for git tags that belong to the current top
21 of tree revision.
22
23 "A string of the format -gxxxxxxxx will be added to the localversion
24 if a git based tree is found. The string generated by this will be
25 appended after any matching localversion files, and after the value
26 set in CONFIG_LOCALVERSION"
27
28 If you are maintainig a git repository, you'd be dealing with a tree
29 always in flux (with the same versioning number I think), so it helps
30 tremendously if there's some way of differentiating between different
31 kernel images.
32
33 This also means that if you don't want this behaviour, just uncheck
34 that option in the configs.
35
36 W
37 --
38 When a clock is hungry it goes back four seconds.
39 Sortir en Pantoufles: up 508 days, 12:29
40 --
41 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list