From: Ow Mun Heng <Ow.Mun.Heng@×××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] DHCP and Problematic IP addreses
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 10:57:12
1 On Tue, 2006-01-17 at 12:11 +0000, Mattias Merilai wrote:
2 > Ow Mun Heng wrote:
3 >
4 > >Googling with "gentoo + dhclient.conf" and "dhcp + reject ip addreses"
5 > >doesn't give me any good leads.
6 > >
7 > >I have a problem in which the DHCP server assigns a Bad IP address to
8 > >me. (miss pings, long delays etc..) I have tried various means to get a
9 > >new IP but it's not giving it to me since the DHCP has bonded it self to
10 > >my PCMCIA NIC's MAC Addr.
11 > >
12 > >Short of waiting close 24 hours (and hoping that that address is not
13 > >given back to me again!), is there any way to reject some IP addreses it
14 > >provides to me?
15 > >
16 > >In addition to that, I know dhcpcd has a config file dhclient.conf but
17 > >it seems to me that gentoo does not use it at all. So, I can't even
18 > >reject the DHCP server.
19 > >
20 > >Help.
24 > If you suspect that the problem is in dhcp you will have to use static
25 > ip settings. Help on this topic is available in the gentoo installation
26 > guide. Another possibility is to contact your network admin, which you
27 > should do anyway when manually setting your ip.
28
29 I believe it's a network router issue or something, but I would still
30 like to get a dynamic IP address, just _not_ the one it's giving me
31 which is problematic.
32 --
33 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list