From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gnome 3 has landed
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 21:57:14
1 Am 2011-11-26 21:07, schrieb walt:
2
3 > The new gnome-shell is the controversial piece of gnome3 and (so far)
4 > I find it counterproductive.
5 >
6 > I googled how to disable the gnome-shell and get my gnome-panel back,
7 > along with the panel applets that I refuse to give up. (The gnome-
8 > shell replaces the gnome-panel, so there is nowhere to run the old
9 > applets.)
10 >
11 > If you want to disable gnome-shell you can do it with the System Info
12 > function in System Settings. Click the Graphics icon and enable the
13 > gnome-fallback setting to disable gnome-shell. Ah, much better :)
14
15 Let me get this straight: if I want to somehow stay in the world of
16 gnome-2.32 (panels, desktop, etc) I could simply avoid masking any of
17 the new stuff and use the mentioned gnome-fallback-setting?
18
19 I also hesitate to leave my comfort zone ... ;-) (and I am on ~amd64 as
20 well).
21
22 Thanks, Stefan