From: David Helstroom <david.helstroom@××××××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Font sizes very small in KDE
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 12:57:35
1 Holly Bostick wrote:
2
3 >Stewart Taylor schreef:
6 >>Hi All
7 >>
8 >>I've got a problem with the display under KDE. I've just installed
9 >>Gentoo for the first time. Under KDE the font sizes are very small
10 >>compared with what they should be. Compared with the same hardware
11 >>under Suse 8.0 all text displays a little over half the size. this
12 >>affects KDE apps and non KDE apps the same. Firefox text on menus and
13 >> the like is so small that it is unusable. On one of my own programs
14 >> the 14 point text displays as if it were 8-9 point. I have a Matrox
15 >> Millennium G400 graphics card. I've tried all the settings i can
16 >>find and have tried different kernel modules settings without
17 >>success. The info I found on the web left me confused as it seems
18 >>that this card may have different names in the UK and US. I'm in the
19 >>UK.
20 >>
21 >>TIA
22 >>
23 >>Stewart
27 >So the situation is that basically "too many cooks spoil the soup". At
28 >least, that's the *first* problem, which we'd have to clear away before
29 >we could be sure that your video card is doing what it should (which I
30 >think it probably is; I have a G400 Max which I used till about a year
31 >or so ago under Linux, and it was really the most trouble-free card I've
32 >used).
33 >
34 >Hope this helps.
35 >Holly
39 Hi Stewart,
40
41 If you are running KDE and Gnome together, I sometimes run into the same
42 troubles as you. Generally, as Holly says, the problem is with Gnome/KDE
43 not playing well together (assuming you have them both installed).
44 However, the way I get around it is to:
45
46 a) start up "gnome-font-properties" and choose the fonts which look best.
47 b) edit your ~/.xprofile to contain:
48
49 #!/bin/sh
50 /usr/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon &
51
52 c) make sure the ~/.xprofile script is executable
53 > chmod u+x ~/.xprofile
54
55 d) now log back into X, fire up kcontrol and adjust the KDE fonts in
56 "Appearance & Themes"->"Fonts"
57
58 Hopefully this will be of some help. It seems to work for me, so good luck!
61 Dave.

smime.p7s application/x-pkcs7-signature