From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Success (mostly)
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 06:30:41
1 On Saturday 26 July 2008, Alan E. Davis wrote:
2 > I want to express my joy at the result (except for some personal
3 > errors, perhaps).  This system runs MUCH faster, and more efficiently
4 > than it did on Ubuntu.  1GB of RAM was often topped out on Ubuntu,
5 > but on this machine even with four compiles going at once, I seldom
6 > saw more than 5 or 600 MB of RAM in use (using HTOP and
7 > Gnome-System-Monitor).
8
9 Congratulations and welcome to gentoo-land. It's quite a feat of
10 accomplishment to get through your very first gentoo install :-)
11
12 The speed-ups you see are quite common in reality, especially on lower
13 grade machines than what Ubuntu targets. Your gentoo machine is
14 profiled more towards what you need and less towards some broad average
15 spec. I have the same thing at work - a 512M desktop running Hardy
16 maxes out the RAM after 2 hours. That same machine would have run
17 Dapper with ease.
20 Alan McKinnon
21 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com