From: Francisco Ares <frares@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Reinstall
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2022 18:27:15
1 Em dom., 19 de jun. de 2022 às 14:33, Michael
2 <confabulate@××××××××.com> escreveu:
3 >
4 > On Sunday, 19 June 2022 18:22:34 BST Grant Edwards wrote:
5 > > On 2022-06-19, Francisco Ares <frares@×××××.com> wrote:
6 > > > Just for the sake of preventing a future failure, besides personal
7 > > > files (minimum and obvious) the "world" file and the binary packages,
8 > > > built along with the package installation, what else should I backup
9 > > > so that I would be able to quickly restore the same full working
10 > > > Gentoo in a new hardware without having to work from stage3 up? The
11 > > > portage tree is one of those items, for sure. But what else?
12 > >
13 > > Make a backup copy of everything under /etc.
14 > >
15 > > I used to try to backup individual /etc/... files that I would need,
16 > > but I always forgot something.
17 > >
18 > > --
19 > > Grant
20 >
21 > Yes, besides /var/lib/portage/world and /etc/ you may also want to back up
22 > your /boot and kernel config, assuming the hardware (MoBo & peripherals) is the
23 > same (same drivers). I wouldn't bother backing up portage, a resync will
24 > download it afresh. You might want to save /distfiles if you're on a slow
25 > Internet link, but it has to be a copy of the current versions, otherwise the
26 > latest version of each package source will have to be downloaded anyway.
27 >
28 > If you're running databases you'll also want to keep a backup of the
29 > respective /var/lib/*sql directory and if you're running a webserver /var/www/
30 > * - but you would be aware of the need to keep a fresh backup of all this data
31 > anyway.
32
33 Also good point, one can always do a "make oldconfig" on a new kernel
34 to recover specific tweaks.
35
36 Regarding backing up the portage tree, the binary packages won't do
37 much if the last sync is, say, one or two months old or even worse if
38 older. To use "emerge -K" one must have the same package version built
39 in the binary package as the one present in portage. That's what I'm
40 facing right now, it seems my binary packages won't be so helpful
41 after all - I'm beginning to think I'll have to go back to stage-3...
42
43 Thanks!
44 Francisco