From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo's advantage: 'optimized for your system' -- huh?
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2009 09:23:41
1 On Fri, 6 Feb 2009 11:11:07 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > If Grandma can easily use Google to find new shortcake recipes (an
4 > entirely reasonable thing for Grandma to do in this day and age), then
5 > it is not unreasonable for savvy users to have a look at the man page
6 > and say
7 >
8 > "Oh look, this is a technical doc. Let me ask Google where better docs
9 > are"
10
11 There are two drawbacks to this. First you need Internet access, not so
12 good if you need help with ifconfig or route, or you are using your laptop
13 on a train.
14
15 Secondly, the Internet is full of useful advice, and some of it is even
16 accurate. Only documentation supplied with the package can be assumed to
17 be correct and up to date.
21 Neil Bothwick
22
23 When you said you wanted to live in sin, I didn't know you meant "sloth"