From: Momesso Andrea <momesso.andrea@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Resizing physical volume for lvm.
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 10:25:57
1 On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 09:31:20 +0000
2 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3
4 > On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 10:07:59 +0100, Momesso Andrea wrote:
5 >
6 > > > Since you currently have plenty of free space, you don't have to
7 > > > take the system out of service to do a backup. Create a new PV in
8 > > > sda4 and run pvmove, then remove and recreate the PV on sda3 and
9 > > > pvmove the data back. Then you can delete sda4 and enlarge sda3.
10 >
11 > > Since, as Alan suggested, I enlarged sda3 with fdisk, how can I have
12 > > back my old sda4 without risking to lose the data?
13 >
14 > You only enlarged the partition, not the PV that lives on it. So you
15 > can delete and recreate it at the original size,although I'd make it a
16 > little larger than before, just to be certain it is never smaller.
20 Wow, didn't know that lvm offers such a great flexibility...
21
22 But I still miss someting... If I pvmove the pv from sda3 to sda4, then
23 recreate a brand new pv on sda3, pvmove the data back, fdisk to delete
24 sda4 and enlarge sda3, what will prevent pvextend to fall in the same
25 error I had before?
26
27 ---
28 TopperH