From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE apps, with minimal KDE install
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 18:14:48
1 On Sunday 22 November 2009 10:33:41 Mick wrote:
2 > On Sunday 22 November 2009 03:41:35 sean wrote:
3 > > Dale wrote:
4 > > > I would also add, watch the USE flags. You may be able to
5 turn some
6 > > > off, that may help as well.
7 > > > Dale
8 > >
9 > > Altering some USE flags was a big help. I had been altering
10 them, but
11 > > finally it worked.
12 > > I went from over 300 packages down to 32.
13 >
14 > Would you mind sharing what these flags were. I have been
15 trying to get
16 > rid of akonadi in vane and have run out of flags to take out.
17
18 You can't get rid of akonadi, at least not the server. It's a
19 hard dependency of kdepimlibs. Currently, you can switch it off,
20 but you can't avoid having it.
21
22 As to why you can't get rid of it, it has to do with what the KDE
23 devs envisage for KDE-4, all of this is in public statements and
24 blogs from around the time of the release of KDE-4.0. They want
25 to build a totally integrated desktop, where all apps are aware
26 of all other apps (where appropriate of course) and integrate
27 with each other. So you can do things like have a message be
28 received by kopete which fires off a plasma that does
29 $NEAT_STUFF. Or, every PIM app hooks into the same backend store
30 so you can see your mail history with someone in your address
31 book and display it next to their tweets. These are just
32 examples, the point is that KDE wants to give you a framework
33 where other devs can hook this data up in ways not envisioned
34 yet.
35
36 You can see this vision by looking closely at the so-called
37 "pillars of KDE-4" - plasma, semantic desktop, akonadi, nepomuk,
38 strigi, et al. It's not all about flashy eye-candy, it's about
39 connecting information in visual way. To do this, your PIM apps
40 need a common backend storage - akonadi. To find stuff that is
41 semantically linked, you need a search engine - nepomuk and
42 strigi.
43
44 It is simply not feasible to try and build software that can do
45 this and also offer the feature to switch it all off. You could
46 try and write such software, but it will be as buggy as hell.
47
48 Given this vision for KDE-4, one must realize that the days of
49 KDE-2 are long gone. KDE is no longer a bunch of apps with a
50 common look and feel, so if you don't want the features of KDE-4,
51 then you should not use KDE-4. Lucky for you, this is Linux and
52 OSS, so there are plenty of other window managers and apps out
53 there to chose from. At least one of them must satisfy your wish
54 for an akonadi-less PIM system
57 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com