From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] RAID with mixed drive sizes
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 20:29:29
1 Benoit St-Pierre schrieb:
2 > I'm in the planning stages of setting up a file server and am considering
3 > using RAID.
4 >
5 > My concern is that my drive sizes are mixed. I have two 500GB SATA drives, a
6 > 320GB IDE and a 250GB IDE.
7 >
8 > I would like to set these up so that the maximum amount of disk space is
9 > usable, but still be able to recover from any one drive failing. I would
10 > also like to be able to add drives of any size as easily as possible.
13 I can think of two ways:
14
15 1. RAID1 over those 2 SATAs + RAID1 over the IDEs, then an LVM on top of
16 both.
17 This wastes 70GB and uses a total of 750GB for redundancy. New disks can
18 be added in increments of two (forming a new RAID1 which is then added
19 to the LVM volume group)
20
21 2. Linear or RAID0-arrangement over the two IDEs, RAID5 over this RAID
22 and the other two disks.
23 This wastes 70GB, too and uses a total of 500GB for redundancy.
24
25 Note1: NEVER EVER build some kind of RAID other than "Linear" (also
26 called JBOD) over two IDE disks on the same cable. Performance will
27 suffer greatly as will security because most simple onboard controllers
28 can't handle a dying disk and that one might take the other one with it
29 into death.
30
31 Note2: RAID-autodetection doesn't always work with RAIDs over RAIDs. It
32 is better to deactivate RAID-autodetection and tell the kernel directly
33 which devices shall be created in which order. See:
34 /usr/src/linux/Documentation/md.txt