From: "Conway S. Smith" <beolach@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Sudo config
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 15:23:26
1 On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 16:11:31 +0100
2 Anthony Metcalf <Anthony.Metcalf@×××××××××××.cx> wrote:
3 > Paul Melvin wrote:
4 > >
5 > > HI,
9 > > I have been using ubuntu for a while and have come to like sudo.
13 > > Now I am moving over to gentoo and would like to set this up as
14 > > for me it is far more convenient to just type sudo rather than
15 > > the su business.
19 > > However when I emerge sudo, install and run it the following
20 > > comes up with:
24 > > We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System
25 > >
26 > > Administrator. It usually boils down to these three things:
30 > > #1) Respect the privacy of others.
31 > >
32 > > #2) Think before you type.
33 > >
34 > > #3) With great power comes great responsibility.
38 > > Password:
42 > > Which is all very good but I don’t really want to see it every
43 > > time, I have searched on how to remove it but have found nothing,
44 > > I did download sudo tar and do a grep and found it in one of the
45 > > c files but as I am not a programmer I don’t know if I can simply
46 > > remove this or not.
50 > > How can I, when I sudo,:
54 > > 1.get rid of all the text
55 > >
56 > > 2.change the password line to something, dare I say it, like
57 > > ubuntu, e.g. [sudo] password for paul, I assume paul is just a
58 > > $USER
61 > Look at /etc/sudoers It is very well documented.
62 >
63 > I have a line like
64 > > # Same thing without a password
65 > > %wheel ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL
66 > which mean sthat anyone in the wheel group can use sudo as you want.
67 >
68 > Anthony
71 Note that the correct way to edit the /etc/sudoers file is w/ the
72 command visudo as root, rather than editing the file directly in your
73 favorite editor. Set the EDITOR environment variable to your
74 preferred editor & visudo should use it.
77 Conway S. Smith
78 --
79 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list