From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Module vboxdrv cannot be found
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 14:21:22
1 On Fri, 28 Jan 2022 13:10:36 +0000, Michael wrote:
2
3 > > > # emerge -av @module-rebuild
4 > > >
5 > > > as I always do.
6 > >
7 > > My experience is that sort of thing doesn't help. Dunno why, but all
8 > > the "pick up changed dependencies" don't pick virtualbox up.
9 > >
10 > > > Anyway, a "depmod -a " helped.
11 > >
12 > > I'll have to try that. The only thing that's ever worked for me in the
13 > > past is explicitly emerging again.
14 > >
15 > > Thanks,
16 > > Cheers,
17 > > Wol
18 >
19 > All I usually do is build/install a new kernel, run 'emerge -1v @module-
20 > rebuild' and reboot. On occasions when I forgot to run @module-rebuild
21 > before I reboot with the new kernel, I ran it afterwards followed by a
22 > successful modprobe. From what I recall it just worked.
23 >
24 > What won't work is running modprobe while still running an old kernel,
25 > but the symlink while rebuilding any modules is pointing to a new
26 > kernel. I can't explain Bertram's experience.
27
28 In Bertram's case, emerge did build modules for the new kernel, as
29 evidenced by the find output he gave. The modules were there, in the path
30 that modprobe said they weren't, which is why a lack of depmod was my
31 first suspect. This may just be one of those things where the phase of the
32 moon conflicted with Bertram's star sign, or it may be reproducible, in
33 which case filing a bug report would help.
37 Neil Bothwick
38
39 There was a young man from the border
40 Who had an attention disorder.
41 When he reached the last line
42 He would run out of time
43 And