From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Select default repository in make.conf?
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 05:04:38
1 On 28/10/2015 00:51, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
2 > Hi guys’n’gals
3 >
4 > Before the introduction of repos.conf, we used several variables in
5 > make.conf to tell portage where to find stuff, such as GENTOO_MIRRORS and
6 > SYNC. My make.conf used to first define sensible defaults for those and then
7 > has the line:
8 >
9 > source homenet.conf
10 >
11 > This file modifies those portage settings to reroute operations to within my
12 > own network. Oftentimes either my PC or laptop is (far) ahead of the other
13 > (tree sync, distfiles download). So to make them serve each other, which
14 > reduces load on public servers and vastly speeds up distfiles download, this
15 > homenet.conf file
16 > - prepends a gentoo mirror
17 > - sets the portage rsync server
18 > - enables distcc on the laptop
19 >
20 > So with a single (un)commenting of the source command, I could switch
21 > between “normal” mode and “homenet” mode.
22 >
23 > Since repos.conf came about, this doesn’t work anymore (the sync part,
24 > anyway, for now). So nowadays, when I want to switch mode, I need to change
25 > the source line and also need to change the sync-uri in repos.conf’s default
26 > repository. That’s too much work. :-D
27 >
28 > How would you advise to achieve what I’m after?
29 > Thanks-a-doodle and good night.
33 There is one obvious method but portage doesn't seem to support it:
34
35 make homenet the highest priority repo in repos.conf and enable/disable
36 it as appropriate. A setting "enabled=true" in the file, or a
37 --enable-repos option to emerge would work nicely, but those do not
38 exist. Sounds like something a feature request might get action on :-)
39
40 Meanwhile, you can "simulate" it:
41
42 Put homenet.conf somewhere outside /etc/portage, and add or delete a
43 symlink for it while needed. If the master file is in /path/to/homenet
44 and you are at home:
45
46 ln -sfn /path/to/homenet/homenet.conf /etc/portage/repos.conf/
47 emerge ...
48
49 Disclainmer: completely untested, I only describe a bizarre idea that
50 popped into mind
53 Alan McKinnon
54 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com