From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] machine check exception errors
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 04:27:23
1 Grant wrote:
2 >
3 > Thanks Mick. My host is big with multiple data centers of their own.
4 > They did exactly as I asked and I'm running on new RAM. There was a
5 > problem bringing my system back online and the cause was purported to
6 > be an unseated ethernet cable. I handed over my root password as I
7 > was requested to do, and then started to get paranoid. I suppose I
8 > shouldn't though because with physical access to my machine they
9 > pretty much have full access anyway, right?
10 >
11 > - Grant
16 Usually, physical access means they either have it or can get it pretty
17 quick. Boot a CD/DVD, mount the partitions, chroot in, change password
18 and reboot. Then, you don't have the password but they do.
19
20 My conspiracy hat on, if you can't trust them with the password, why do
21 they have your data? Just thinking. ;-)
22
23 This leaves out the encryption thing tho. That would change things.
24
25 Dale
26