From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] updating ALL packages
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 22:57:20
1 On Wed, 23 Jul 2014 09:24:44 -0400, gottlieb@×××.edu wrote:
2
3 > I had mistakenly thought this would update all packages not at the
4 > latest version (subject to package.accept_keywords, package.mask, ...).
5
6 It only updates runtime dependencies, you need --with-bdeps=y to update
7 all dependencies. However, the default is no for a good reason, there's
8 no need to update build time deps once the package is installed.
9
10 > I now realize that it only does this for the packages in world and then
11 > follows the dependency tree. So if package A in world is up to date, A
12 > depends of B, and a new version of B appears, B will not be updated.
13 >
14 > As a result eix-test-obsolete finds that I have packages installed that
15 > are no longer in the database.
16
17 That shouldn't happen. If an installed package is removed for the tree,
18 portage should either install the highest version that matches your
19 settings or print a warning.
20
21 > I could do
22 >
23 > emerge --update the-2-dozen-such-packages
24 >
25 > Is that wise?
26
27 No, as it will add them to world (this behaviour of -u appears to vary
28 depending on portage version, wind direction and sunspot activity). Use
29 --oneshot.
33 Neil Bothwick
34
35 You can't teach a new mouse old clicks.