From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge @ world -> @preserved-rebuild -> @preserved-rebuild -> what next?
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 15:14:51
1 On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 6:58 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Thursday 12 November 2009 16:43:15 Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >> So on one machine yesterday I did emerge -DuN @world which then
4 >> suggested the need for emerge @preserved-rebuild which I did over
5 >> night. This morning it was finished but suggested the need for a
6 >> second emerge @preserved-rebuild. As I don't need the machine right
7 >> now I kicked it off and will check it again later but I'm wondering
8 >> why in the world it needs to do this twice, compiling 52 packages the
9 >> first time and 50 packages the second time where most of the packages
10 >> in the first list were in the second list?
11 >>
12 >> Is this setting up for an endless loop?
13 >>
14 >> Most of the packages were part of Gnome or XFCE4.
15 >
16 > I've been answering this question a lot lately :-)
17 >
18 > Almost invariably it's an automagic dependency where the offending package is
19 > not in DEPEND. If you have been through the cycle at least once, it is safe to
20 > delete /var/lib/portage/preserved_libs_registry and continue on your way.
21 >
22 > A later revdep-rebuild will sort out any (highly unlikely) remaining issues
23 >
24 > --
25 > alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
26
27 Thanks Alan. I always tend to do a revdep-rebuild -i anyway. Not sure
28 if it's required but old habits die hard.
29
30 Cheers,
31 Mark