From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] sys-libs/glibc-2.15-r1
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 10:37:22
1 On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 11:18:40 +0800
2 kwkhui@××××.net wrote:
3
4 > On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 09:12:48 +0700
5 > Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
6 >
7 > > On Apr 23, 2012 1:09 AM, "Volker Armin Hemmann"
8 > > <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
9 > > >
10 > > > Am Sonntag, 22. April 2012, 19:52:16 schrieb Stefan G. Weichinger:
11 > > > > Just browsed the changelog of glibc-2.15:
12 > > > >
13 > > > > http://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2012-03/msg00836.html
14 > > > >
15 > > > > When I read the NEWS section there with all that "optimized"
16 > > > > stuff I wonder if it makes any sense to rebuild packages here
17 > > > > after upgrading
18 > > glibc?
19 > > > >
20 > > >
21 > > > no, because it is a library. You make use of it anyway.
22 > > >
23 > >
24 > > What about statically linked packages?
25 > >
26 > > Rgds,
27 >
28 > Bless those who keeps on telling people there is no need to rebuild
29 > packages after glibc upgrade, for they must have not used pam or any
30 > other packages that uses dlopen().
31
32 To be fair, a complete rebuild of everything is a relatively huge
33 task and usually a waste if done routinely.
34
35 glibc is never downgraded in any sane system, only upgraded.
36 The glibc ABI and API hardly ever take anything away, just add new
37 stuff. Imagine if glibc behaved like boost wrt API changes <shudder>
38
39 So leaving everything else intact after upgrading linux-headers and/or
40 glibc gives a system that tends to do exactly what it did before and is
41 in no way broken. Sure, one can rebuild all of world at one's leisure
42 to take advantage of any new features those packages give, but it is
43 not *required*
44
45 This latest pam nonsense is a very rare event. I really don't feel like
46 doing massive rebuilds routinely to maybe catch rare events...
50 Alan McKinnnon
51 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com