From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Picking out a printer. Questions.
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2019 18:40:27
1 Daniel Frey wrote:
2 > On 4/21/19 10:29 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> On Sun, Apr 21, 2019 at 11:17 AM Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>> Most companies with IT no longer bother with laser printers, they'll
6 >>> use
7 >>> large print centres (like copiers) which have a low cost-per-page
8 >>> (black
9 >>> and white can be under 1c/page.) We have retired most of our laser
10 >>> printers.
11 >>
12 >> Unless I'm mistaken, those are also laser printers.  They just have
13 >> integrated scanners as well, and sometimes FAX/email/etc.
16 > Yes. But we were talking more consumer printers here. We haven't
17 > bought a "normal" laser printer (in the sense of a Laserjet that sits
18 > on a desk etc.) in more than a decade. Those larger print centres are
19 > also a heck of a lot faster than a normal desktop laser printer. The
20 > cost per page is also much lower (I believe way pay < 1c per page for
21 > black and white.)
22 >
23 > Dan
28 On that note, I thought about going to some lawyers offices and Doctors
29 and asking them to let me know when they upgrade their printers.  Some
30 of those does it on a schedule because it is a tax write off.  What they
31 could do, donate it to some charity and me pay the charity a little and
32 I have a good printer plus they get a extra write off.  The only
33 downside to that, it is used plus they are most likely going to be much
34 bigger and have more features than I need.  While I don't care if it has
35 a scanner, can fax etc, I don't need one plus I don't have a phone line
36 to use to fax either, unless it does it over internet which I can do
37 with email anyway.  lol
38
39 One thing about some of the larger more expensive ones, they tend to be
40 built to last a long time and can handle large loads.  Thing is, I might
41 not use it enough to keep all the wheels spinning.  It may rust to
42 pieces from not being used enough.  ROFL
43
44 One thing I've found out about the Lexmark, cartridges that are refurbed
45 or something ain't easy to find, yet.  Heck, finding them at all isn't
46 easy unless you go to a big chain type store.  May look into another
47 brand for this that has pretty much the same page counts.  I dunno.
48 They do last a long time tho.
49
50 Dale
51