From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Heads Up - switching to profile 17.1 is not as easy as it sounds
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2019 13:04:37
1 On Tue, Jun 11, 2019 at 8:42 AM Davyd McColl <davydm@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Tue, 11 Jun 2019 at 14:23, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> I think a big part of that is that before I did ANYTHING I took a lot
6 >> of steps to clean up...
7 >
8 > I guess YMMV. I regularly:
9 > - emerge --sync
10 > - emerge --update --newuser --deep @world @preserved-rebuild -a
11 > - emerge --depclean -a
12 > (by regularly, I mean at least twice a week). If I uninstall anything, I clean out
13 > package.{use|accept_keywords|licence} where appropriate. AFAIK I followed
14 > the news item pedantically, following it step-by-step until I got to re-merging /lib32
15 > & /usr/lib32, when things came a little unstuck.
16 >
17 > Doesn't mean I'm couldn't miss something, just that I'm not leaving this
18 > machine out-of-date for months at a time or expecting miracles.
19
20 It was just intended as general advice for anybody else doing the
21 upgrade, not as finger-pointing. Despite my care I still ran into
22 some minor issues.
23
24 > I appreciate all the help and experience available from this list
25 > and would appreciate any input on my updating procedures above,
26 > in particular, anything which would have made this transition smoother.
27
28 You're not really doing anything wrong. I think this is just the
29 difference between washing your hands before dinner and washing your
30 hands before going into surgery. And simply doing everything right
31 doesn't guarantee a lack of issues for something like this.
32
33 > Mostly, I find portage to be very capable, though it's taken me quite a while
34 > to make heads-or-tails of the error output, but I'm getting better at it.
35
36 Portage error output is often cryptic, and usually literally following
37 its advice is the worst thing you can do. It is fine for a lot of
38 one-offs but when you get 800 lines of error output and a suggestion
39 to stick something in a config file I'd make sure you understand what
40 is going on first.
41
42 As with most software it is literally trying to solve a problem it
43 thinks you asked it to solve. Unfortunately, sometimes the fastest
44 way to get rid of a disease is to drown the patient in disinfectant so
45 you could call this 3-laws safe. :)
48 Rich