From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] xmltv to MySQL ???
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 18:23:02
1 On 30 Oct 10, at 6:25pm, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > ...
3 > I am looking for a tool to simply put the contents of xmltv-files into
4 > a MySQL database.
5 > I googled a lot this day and found some tools but some does not use
6 > MySQL (for example one uses Postgresql) other have started a project
7 > but do not release any code. And lot tools are part of very very big
8 > packages and cannot be cut out of them in a simple way.
9 >
10 > I only want a xmltv-reader which feeds the data into MySQL. Everything
11 > else is done elsewhere...
12
13 I think the best answer to this is "MythTV".
14
15 A week ago you asked about waking your computer up at certain times to record TV.
16
17 Earlier today you were asking for something to schedule recordings. I would have replied then and suggested MythTV or atd, but you'd already had a reply you were happy with by the time I saw it.
18
19 Now you're trying to fix another problem which has already been solved by MythTV.
20
21 What are you going to do when you find that shows are running late and the bash script you've bodged together cuts off the last 5 minutes of Inspector Morse? You will never know whodunnit!! MythTV automatically pads the program by a few minutes, except when this would clash with another program.
22
23 MythTV has thousands of lines of code already written to solve the problems associated with recording and watching TV on a computer. All the stuff you've asked for already, MythTV started addressing years ago.
24
25 Will your script be able to record two shows at once, using a single tuner? MythTV can.
26
27 I understand where you're coming from, wanting to do this yourself, but I think you're going to be continually wanting to add features to your solution.
28
29 Having said that, I think you could probably use Perl. I think there is an xmltv module in CPAN, and you'll find about a zillion articles on the web about using Perl to shove stuff into databases.
30 http://kobesearch.cpan.org/htdocs/xmltv/
31 Is there any reason your database has to be MySQL, rather than, say, SQLite?
32
33 Stroller.