From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] User can mount/umount but not write to top the new drive
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2012 20:49:58
1 On Mon, 9 Apr 2012 12:59:31 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
2
3 > In the past I've gotten around this by having root mount the drive
4 > and then change ownership to mark:users once it's mounted. Linux
5 > remembers I've done that once and no longer requires me to do anything
6 > else as root.
7
8 That's right, the root of the filesystem is now owned by mark.
9
10 > Is that truly required or is there a way to give the user access to
11 > the top of the new mount point without roots' involvement?
12
13 Not with a Linux filesystem[1][2], because the filesystem is owned by
14 root, so only root can change that.
15
16 [1] This isn't strictly true as you can do it with ACLs, but that is far
17 more complex than simply chowning the root of the filesystem if that is
18 all you need.
19
20 [2] With Windows filesystem, there are mount options to set the default
21 ownership, but that is a workaround for the differences between Linux and
22 Windows metadata.
26 Neil Bothwick
27
28 TROI : What am I sensing?? I'm sensing INCOMPETENCE, you pretentious
29 bald pseudo-French dickweed!