From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] smartctl and external hard drives
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 08:17:37
1 covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
2
3 >I have a couple of external hard drives -- one is a 1.5t disk which has
4 >failed and the other is a brand new Seagate 3t disk -- both in USB
5 >enclosures one a Roseweil USB 3 and the other one a Startech USB 3.
6 >When I run smartctl against them, the newer one gives a serial number
7 >which Seagate says is not correct, and I get the message from both that
8 >Smart is not supported. I am running unstable with kernel
9 >3.6.2-gentoo.
12 >Anyone know what is going on here?
13 >
14 >Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
15 >
16 >--
17 >Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
18 >How do
19 >you spend it?
20 >
21 > John Covici
22 > covici@××××××××××.com
23
24 Unless the controller in the enclosure supports SMART, it won't work.
25
26 If you can remove the drive from the enclosure. Connect it directly to your mainboard. It should work then on recent mainboards.
29 Joost
30 --
31 Sent from my Android phone with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.