From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gcc 5.3
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2015 16:36:22
1 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> writes:
2
3 > On Tue, 29 Dec 2015 19:21:01 +0100, lee wrote:
4 >
5 >> > As 4.9.3 is marked stable, I guess that's what'd you get per
6 >> > default.
7 >>
8 >> 4.8.5
9 >>
10 >> I'd have to run emerge --sync to know about more recent versions. How
11 >> is that supposed to be used, btw? I only run that when I do want to
12 >> update everything. Now if I didn't want to update anything but gcc,
13 >> could I run emerge --sync and install gcc 5.x without having trouble
14 >
15 > Emerge --sync only updates the portage tree, so
16 >
17 > emerge --sync
18 > emerge -a sys-devel/gcc:5
19 >
20 >> with anything else I might install before actually updating everything?
21 >> So if I'd never explicitly update everything but run emerge --sync
22 >> frequently, things would be updated over time, occasionally?
23 >
24 > No, nothing would get updated. To do that you need to run emerge @world
25 > after emerge --sync.
26
27 Well, yes, but what if want to install a package that hasn't been
28 installed yet, or re-emerge an installed package with different USE
29 flags, after updating the portage tree? Will a more recent version be
30 installed than would have been installed before the tree was updated,
31 maybe updating other packages to more recent versions because they are
32 needed for the new package?
33
34 Other distributions usually (want to) update a lot of packages once you
35 update the information about available packages.
36
37 >> > Stuff compiled with older gcc's should run with newer libgcc*[0], but
38 >> > stuff compililed with a newer gcc might not run with the older
39 >> > libgcc*. Same goes, with more problems IIRC, for libstdc++.
40 >> > So beware of that. Apart from that? I'm not aware of problems.
41 >>
42 >> Uhm ... So I might break the system by switching between compiler
43 >> versions?
44 >
45 > That's highly unlikely as software that has been compiled with the old
46 > compiler will still work.
47
48 And if not?
49
50 Just yesterday I tried to update a Fedora install and it failed so that
51 the machine is now unusable because it only keeps rebooting. I expected
52 it to fail, just not that badly ... If I could find my USB stick, I'd
53 be putting Gentoo on it now.
54
55 > You may find that some programs fail to
56 > recompile with the new compiler, but I didn't experience that with the
57 > 4.9>5 step, although I had some that would build with 4.8 but not 4.9.
58 >
59 > I have an application which I would like to compile with gcc
60 >> 5.x just to see if that's even possible. I could switch, try it, and
61 >> then switch back.
62 >
63 > Exactly, run gcc-config, compile/emerge the program, run gcc-config again.
64
65 And what about ccache? Will it use the new version automatically and
66 detect that the compiler version has changed so that files in the cache
67 need to be recompiled?