From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Help, please! I've hosed my gcc.
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 22:05:22
1 Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
2
3 > Hi, Gentoo.
4 >
5 > My gcc now fails to work.
6 >
7 > I upgraded it earlier on (I think) after doing an emerge --sync. I
8 > can't remember the before/after versions, or even whether I've got both
9 > of them.
10 >
11 > lipgmp has a lot to do with my problem. After my last emerge -uND
12 > world, I think libgmp was upgraded. At any rate the messages on the
13 > screen directed me to
14 >
15 > revdep-rebuild --library /usr/libt64/libgmp.so.3
16 >
17 > , which I did. They then informed me I could safely delete libgmp.so.3,
18 > which I also did. :-(
19 >
20 > Now, when I attempt gcc on the command line, I get the error:
21 >
22 > /usr/libexec/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.5/cc1: error while loading
23 > shared libraries: libgmp.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No
24 > such file or directory
25 >
26 > . So, is there an easy way for me to recover a working gcc, or do I
27 > have to do something desperate, like reinstalling Gentoo? :-(
28 >
29 > Help will be most appreciated.
30 >
31 Do you have a backup?
34 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
35 How do
36 you spend it?
37
38 John Covici