From: Dimitar Toshev <mo6eeeb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Packages list
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 20:42:23
1 On Friday 20 January 2006 19:44, Phil Sexton wrote:
2 > Michael A Smith wrote:
3 > > Phil Sexton wrote:
4 > >> Felipe Ribeiro wrote:
5 > >>> Where do I find the list with all installed packages?
6 > >>>
7 > >>> Cheers,
8 > >>>
9 > >>> Felipe
10 > >>
11 > >> The ones you emerged are listed in the file:
12 > >>
13 > >> /var/lib/portage/world
14 > >>
15 > >> Want it in alphabetical order?
16 > >>
17 > >> cat /var/lib/portage/world|less
18 > >
19 > > Isn't that a superfluous use of cat? Why not
20 > >
21 > > less /var/lib/portage/world
22 > >
23 > > -Mike
24 >
25 > Oops! I was actually thinking:
26 >
27 > sort /var/lib/portage/world|less
28 >
29 > This gives the listing in alphabetical order, what I previously
30 > posted doesn't alphabetize it.
31 >
32 > --
33 > Phil
34 > My Home Page: http://fancypiper.info
35 > Our 2nd CD: http://www.cdbaby.com/naomisfancy
36 > Naomi's Fancy performances:
37 > http://naomisfancy.virtualave.net/schedule.html
38
39 No, no. You have gotten it all wrong. /var/lib/portage/world lists only
40 manually installed packages.
41 e.g.: If you do not have X installed and do
42 emerge gnome
43 X will be pulled in as a dependency, along with a whole lot of other stuff,
44 but only gnome will be written in world, because that is the package you
45 manually emerged. This is why in order upgrade your whole system you have to
46 do emerge -u -D world. -D makes emerge check for the given packages'
47 dependencies as well. Though this means, that if you have a package
48 installed, that is not listed in world, nor is a dependency of anything in
49 world, it will never get picked up by portage. It has been stated, that the
50 devs will probably implement an "all" keyword in portage, at some point, so
51 that one can more efficiently check for updates to all packages, instead of
52 only those in world and their dependencies.
53
54 To answer the original question:
55 Portage keeps information about all emerged pacakges in /var/db/pkg .
56 --
57 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list