From: Ajai Khattri <ajai@××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: What's the story with 2.6.35 kernel?
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 00:31:12
1 On Fri, 10 Sep 2010, walt wrote:
2
3 > On 09/10/2010 03:18 PM, Ajai Khattri wrote:
4 >>
5 >> I upgraded several machines and some failed to boot 2.6.35, they just hang
6 >> after grub starts loading the kernel. Some of these I managed to fix by
7 >> comparing kernel configs with working machines...
8 >
9 > What kernel config items did you change to fix those broken machines?
10
11 The two main ones seemed to be disabling the deprecated ATA drivers and
12 another one was disabling some sysfs options. But these changes didn't
13 help in this case. At this point, I think Im better off sticking to the
14 older kernel until I figure this out properly so Ive focussed my efforts
15 on getting that working.
16
17 I have since booted off a recent boot CD, mounted the RAID partitions and
18 tried downgrading udev so I can maybe boot the older kernel. This didn't
19 work since the LiveCD is newer than the original CD I used to build this
20 box, and the naming conventions for RAID devices seems to have changed
21 (and building udev from a LiveCD means Im using newer /proc and /dev!).
22
23 The older kernel loads but then says my root device doens't exist.
24
25 Under the old scheme I specified /dev/md1 as my root in grub.conf but
26 since this doesn't exist the boot fails. In trying to fix this I see that
27 the LiveCD uses the following device files for the RAID partitions:
28 /dev/md123 /dev/md124 /dev/md125 /dev/md126. Should I be using those in
29 grub.conf now?
34 A