From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: networking and libvirt
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 01:06:38
1 On 29/01/13 08:04, Dustin C. Hatch wrote:
2 > On 1/28/2013 17:52, Michael Mol wrote:
3 >> On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 5:35 PM, Randy Barlow
4 >> <randy@×××××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 >>> On 01/20/2013 12:37 AM, William Kenworthy wrote:
6 >>>> So what is usually recommended and works for this scenario?
7 >>>
8 >>> I personally use a bridged interface that allows my VMs to be on the
9 >>> "physical" network. That works out pretty well. In my use case, it's
10 >>> the same subnet as the host, but it should be possible to use VLANs to
11 >>> accomplish having them on a separate subnet.
12 > I've got a Gentoo-based libvirt/qemu-kvm host running with several
13 > VMs, also using bridged TAP adapters. It works really well for
14 > servers/other "always on" systems that run in the background.
15 > virt-manager can handle everything for you, you just have to know the
16 > name of the bridge to which you want to the VM to join.
17 >>
18 >> There's no requirement that they be on separate layer 2 segments if
19 >> you want them to be on separate layer 3 subnets.
20 >>
21 >> Either statically configure the IPs, or:
22 >>
23 >> For IPv4: Have DHCP grant IPs from different pools based on source MAC
24 >> or declared hostname.
25 >>
26 >> For IPv6: Use DHCPv6 rather than SLAAC, and follow the same principles
27 >> as for DHCP-for-IPv4.
28 >>
29 >> Sure, giving them separate layer 2 segments helps encapsulation (and
30 >> may make things easier from an autoconfiguration standpoint,
31 >> depending), but it's not strictly necessary from a technology point of
32 >> view.
33 >>
34 > While that's all true, I personally think 802.1Q VLANs are *much*
35 > easier to configure than DHCP and especially DHCPv6. Definitely
36 > sysadmin's prerogative, though.
37 >> --
38 >> :wq
39 >>
40 > :x
41 >
42 I went with openvswitch and a tap on the host so I could route into the
43 rest of the network. The vmś will have to use fixed IP addresses
44 (servers one of which will be dns/dhcp for the clients) I will be using
45 vlans eventually, but need a managed switch with more ports which is in
46 the ¨plan¨
47
48 BillK