From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Quick and dirty install of google chrome binary package
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2012 21:49:55
1 On Wed, 8 Feb 2012 16:45:18 +0000
2 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Tuesday 07 Feb 2012 17:53:59 walt wrote:
5 > > On 02/07/2012 09:16 AM, Pandu Poluan wrote:
6 > > > On Feb 8, 2012 12:03 AM, "walt" <w41ter@×××××.com
7 > > >
8 > > > <mailto:w41ter@×××××.com>> wrote:
9 > > >> Now that Pandu has mentioned it, I can edit the google-chrome
10 > > >> ebuild to do what I want :) The part where I install the
11 > > >> obsolete libpng12 in the /opt/google/chrome directory instead
12 > > >> of /usr/lib is the part I'm not sure about.
13 > > >
14 > > > I think you can peek into libpng12's ebuild, and transfer the
15 > > > relevant parts (e.g. those retrieving the source and doing the
16 > > > compile), and adapt the installation parts.
17 > > >
18 > > > Don't forget to put your custom ebuild in your local overlay, lest
19 > > > emerge --sync will happily 'revert' your ebuild to what it was :-)
20 > >
21 > > Thanks. I've learned something from this thread in spite of
22 > > myself :p
23 >
24 > Must you use Chrome? What's wrong with Chromium?
25
26 Chrome is a binary blob
27 Chromium is built from source
28 There used to be a chromium-bin a while ago but the maintainer got fed
29 up with the hassles of building the damn thing for multiple arches and
30 gave up.
31
32 The OP *did* say in his opening post that he was fed up with the
33 multi-hour emerge when building chromium, hence his desire to tweak
34 the chrome ebuild
38 Alan McKinnnon
39 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com