From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo video camera security system
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 15:13:49
1 > This is the the best (cheapest) for hobbyist (webcams or ntsc(pal)
2 > frame grabber boards for a (local) campus setting. If you are
3 > going to re-transmit the video (stream it) over a WAN or the Internet
4 > you've got a host of other issues to deal with. If this is the goal,
5 > save yourself lots of grief and use H.264.
6
7 I've thought this over and I think I'll avoid streaming over the
8 internet. I have two locations to monitor in separate buildings.
9 Each of them has a Gentoo desktop on the same local network. I don't
10 need to do live monitoring so maybe I should just have each of these
11 systems record their videos and send a copy to the other system. That
12 way I always have two copies of all videos, and I can wget what I need
13 from over the internet if I need to review something.
14
15 How does that sound? Would you use H.264 for this?
16
17 - Grant