From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Multiseat -- LTSP?
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 10:36:54
1 On Sunday 29 Jan 2012 23:29:37 Grant wrote:
2 > >> I'd like to have multiple users working from separate monitors,
3 > >> keyboards, and mice, but all connected to a single Gentoo computer.
4 > >> The main purpose is to minimize sys admin duties but hardware and
5 > >> power requirements would also be minimized.
6 > >>
7 > >> Apparently this is called "multiseat" and native support in Xorg might
8 > >> not be ready for primetime:
9 > >>
10 > >> http://wiki.x.org/wiki/Development/Documentation/Multiseat
11 > >> http://vignatti.wordpress.com/2008/09/23/multiseat-roadmap
12 > >>
13 > >> There is a configuration tool for Xorg multiseat called MDM:
14 > >>
15 > >> http://wiki.c3sl.ufpr.br/multiseat/index.php/Mdm
16 > >>
17 > >> but from what I've read it isn't ideal. Besides Xorg multiseat I've
18 > >> read about LTSP and a few others:
19 > >>
20 > >> http://www.ltsp.org
21 > >> http://www.thinstation.org
22 > >> http://automseat.sourceforge.net
23 > >> http://www.openthinclient.org
24 > >>
25 > >> There are also a lot of proprietary options. Is LTSP the way to go?
26 > >
27 > > It may be, but as with all thin client models you would need a terminal
28 > > computer for each user.
29 > >
30 > > If you only have one machine and monitors, keyboards and mice for each
31 > > user then you'll need multiple video cards (and a strong power supply)
32 > > for your only PC. In this case something like
33 > > http://automseat.sourceforge.net may be more appropriate. However, I
34 > > have not used anything like this set up to offer an opinion on
35 > > performance.
36 > >
37 > > At work we use thin clients running Debian to serve MSWindows server
38 > > desktop and apps to users. This setup uses the Citrix ica protocol, but
39 > > I'm thinking that FreeNX coupled with VNC or relevant KDE or Gnome
40 > > remote desktop implementation would probably work nicely and offer LAN
41 > > and remote connection security at the same time.
42 > > --
43 > > Regards,
44 > > Mick
45 >
46 > If I throw out installing a separate OS on a separate machine for each
47 > workstation and all of the proprietary thin-client protocols, I think
48 > I have 3 options:
49 >
50 > 1. Connect monitors, USB keyboards, and USB mice directly to a server
51 > with multiple video cards. I found a motherboard with 6 PCI-E slots:
52 >
53 > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128508
54 >
55 > 6 video cards could be installed for 6 workstations if the server goes
56 > headless, and even more if multi-headed video cards are used. Xorg
57 > requires some special configuration for this but this discussion from
58 > 2010 sounds like it's something that is actually done:
59 >
60 > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-836950-start-0.html
61 >
62 > These guys got it working in 2006:
63 >
64 > http://www.linuxgazette.net/124/smith.html
65 >
66 > 2. Set up a separate thin client for each workstation and run LTSP on
67 > the server. This seems inferior to #1 because it requires setting up
68 > and maintaining the LTSP server and client configuration, NFS, xinetd,
69 > tftp, dnsmasq, and PXE-boot. Bandwidth would also be limited compared
70 > to #1 and hardware and power requirements would be much greater.
71 >
72 > 3. Run a Plugable thin client for each workstation:
73 >
74 > http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004PXPPNA
75 >
76 > This likely requires running "Userful Multiseat Linux" on my server
77 > which is only packaged up for Ubuntu. The Plugable thin client
78 > connects to the server via USB 2.0 which makes me wonder if it could
79 > be made to work without Userful Multiseat Linux as a USB video card
80 > and input devices, but I imagine drivers for the video card and
81 > bandwidth over USB could be a problem.
82 >
83 > I think #1 is the way to go but I'd love to hear anyone else's opinion
84 > on that. Has anyone here ever set up multiseat in Xorg?
85
86 Can you rely on Xorg devs to ensure that they are not going to break your
87 multiseat system in the future?
88
89 Are you sure that you will come across bandwidth issues if you follow option
90 #2? On a gigabit network at work we're running thousands of thin clients
91 distributed across hundreds of VM servers, and there is no noticeable latency
92 (unless a particular VM MSWindows server plays up).
93
94 I understand that managing multiple boxen is always a greater burden, but
95 something like GNAP may lighten the work needed?
96
97 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/embedded/gnap-userguide.xml
98
99 Unfortunately I do not have experience of all the above setups to advice.
100 --
101 Regards,
102 Mick