From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] nfs mount on client end.
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 13:11:55
1 In my home lan setup its an opensolaris (zfs fs) NFS server that is
2 supposed to be set to show NFS vers=3 on offer.
3
4 Somehow on the client end... my gentoo desktop, its getting mounted
5 with vers=4 as evidenced by the output of `mount'
6
7 opensolairs_NFS_SERVER:/pub on /pub type nfs
8 (rw,users,addr=192.168.0.29,vers=4,clientaddr=192.168.0.2)
9
10 Note it says vers=4. I don't see where that is being set.
11
12 /etc/conf.d/nfs mentiones NFS vers=4 but doesn't say that is what its
13 telling the kernel to use.
14
15 From /etc/conf.d/nfs
16 # Optional services to include in default `/etc/init.d/nfs start`
17 # For NFSv4 users, you'll want to add "rpc.idmapd" here.
18 NFS_NEEDED_SERVICES="rpc.idmapd"
19
20 Does that determine what version gets used... it doesn't sound like it
21 would.
22
23 These lines out of /etc/init.d/nfsmount seems to be the culprit:
24 # Make sure nfs support is loaded in the kernel #64709
25 if [ -e /proc/modules ] && ! grep -qs 'nfs$' /proc/filesystems ; then
26 modprobe -q nfs
27 fi
28
29 ebegin "Mounting NFS filesystems"
30 mount -a -t nfs,nfs4
31 eend $?
32
33 Or does `mount -a -t nfs,nfs4' just mean vers 4 is made available?
34
35 I have 2,3 and 4 enabled in the kernel:
36
37 zcat /proc/config.gz |grep 'NFS[^D].*='
38
39 CONFIG_NFS_FS=y
40 CONFIG_NFS_V3=y
41 CONFIG_NFS_V3_ACL=y
42 CONFIG_NFS_V4=y
43 CONFIG_NFS_ACL_SUPPORT=y
44 CONFIG_NFS_COMMON=y
45
46 There is also a:
47 # CONFIG_NFS_V4_1 is not set
48 But I think that is experimental, and not necessary for vers=4 to be
49 available.
50
51 So is the linux client supposed to decide which version to mount by
52 what it sees on offer?
53
54 If so, then is there a known problem when the server is opensolaris?
55
56 I know opensolaris people tell me to set the server to offer only
57 version=3 because there is some problem with linux if you use
58 version=4.
59
60 On the opensolaris lists, I've been discussing this, and it appears
61 other users are not having a similar problem when they tell the
62 server to use version=3 which I have (on the opensolaris server in
63 /etc/default/nfs):
64
65 # Sets the maximum version of the NFS protocol that will be used by
66 # the NFS client. Can be overridden by the "vers=" NFS mount option.
67 # If "vers=" is not specified for an NFS mount, this is the version
68 # that will be attempted first. The default is 4.
69 #NFS_CLIENT_VERSMAX=4
70
71 # [HP 03/12/09 00:20
72 NFS_CLIENT_VERSMAX=3