From: Phill MV <hiffyness@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Getting distribution name and release version
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 19:25:50
1 "We are writing remote systems management software for Linux systems and are
2 looking for a standard way to obtain a remote systems distribution name and
3 release version."
4
5 Well, there isn't a standard way to any distro, come to think about it. LSB
6 is sort of a pain and one sided, based on their 'standards'. Wasn't there
7 also a hubub on /. on how every 'compliant' distro was faking their results?
8
9 While we're at it, could people get a clue and stop including moronic little
10 tags in their email like:
11
12 "This e-mail message (including attachments, if any) is intended for the use
13 of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain
14 information that is privileged, proprietary , confidential and exempt from
15 disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any
16 dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly
17 prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify
18 the sender and erase this e-mail message immediately."
19
20 Is this even legally binding? I have a hard time believing that I can't
21 disclose something someone sent *me* if I didn't sign anything.
22 Also, every email sent to this list is automatically copied in gmane and a
23 dozen little 'problem resolution' forums -- so it's kind of moot.