From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Why I can't I build systemd without ipv6?
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2017 15:03:16
1 On 10/14/2017 04:05 AM, Mick wrote:
2 > On Friday, 13 October 2017 22:55:50 BST Daniel Frey wrote:
3 >> On 10/13/2017 02:48 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:
4 >>> On 2017-10-13, Vadim A. Misbakh-Soloviov <gentoo@×××.name> wrote:
5 >>>> Well, actually, you was alread adviced about some working methods of
6 >>>> solving your issue (both right and wrong ones, but it is anyway your
7 >>>> decision to take ones to use), so I'll just clarify the simple
8 >>>> thing:
9 >>>>
10 >>>> You can suffer on such problems in relation to IPv6 **ONLY** in the
11 >>>> case when your ISP **DO** have IPv6 support (say, announce IPv6
12 >>>> preffix to you via SLAAC or DHCPv6), but having **BROKEN** IPv6
13 >>>> routing.
14 >>>
15 >>> It might not be the ISP that's broken. It might be the user's
16 >>> firewall/router. A lot of the cheap consumer models are starting to
17 >>> "support" IPv6 by default when it appears to them that the ISP
18 >>> supports IPv6. But, the default IPv6 firewall/router settings aren't
19 >>> always usable.
20 >>
21 >> I'm currently using the ISP provided router, as I don't have anything
22 >> ATM that can handle 150 mbps symmetrical.
23 >>
24 >> Dan
25 >
26 > I'm guessing the delay is due to DNS resolution missing of being misconfigured
27 > somewhere in your/your ISPs network. Could you tweak your router's DNS
28 > resolver addresses to point to OpenDNS resolvers, or some such if your ISP's
29 > are not working properly?
32 No, the DNS was working. It was trying to connect to a specific ipv6
33 address to sync, and failing (twice.)
34
35 That's what I initially thought too, but checked name resolution and it
36 was returning proper addresses.
37
38 I even thought (before I started to remove systemd from my old laptop) I
39 could save time by disabling ipv6 on the ISP router (my cell phone
40 suffers the same delay), but then it wouldn't even connect to their network.
41
42 Dan