From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Coping with KDE upgrades
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 19:16:59
1 On Sunday 19 November 2006 12:52, "Kevin O'Gorman" <kogorman@×××××.com>
2 wrote about '[gentoo-user] Coping with KDE upgrades':
3 > I converted to KDE modular some time ago with considerable trepidation.
4 > Now I'm faced with the updates that came out this week, and I'd like to
5 > take advantage of the opportunity this offers to dispense with (that is,
6 > unmerge) the many parts of KDE I will never use.
7
8 I'm there with you.
9
10 > The problem is obvious and unavoidable: there are 231 parts that
11 > currently are in my world file, and I do not know what all of them
12 > do. I can cherry-pick a few that are obvious throw-aways by removing
13 > them from world, and waiting to see if they get updated anyway because
14 > they're actually needed.
15
16 The only package that was in my world file was kde-meta. That brings in
17 everything. How did you get 213 entries anyway? Forgetting to use -1
18 (--oneshot) as needed?
19
20 > Does anybody have advice about how to improve that process? Would it
21 > be better to remove all but the obvious keepers?
22
23 The way I'm slimming things down, I removed kde-meta from world, and then
24 did emerge -p --depclean. I look over the (*LONG*) list and when I see an
25 application I use, I add it to my world file with emerge -n. After I'm
26 fairly sure I've caught everything I'll let the depclean actually remove
27 packages.
28
29 > I'm not looking forward to the pains-taking process of vetting each and
30 > every one of the 231, but I don't want to be spending the time to
31 > recompile the presumed multitude that I never ever use.
32
33 Unfortunately I still have a long list of packages to "confirm" that I
34 don't use before unmerging. An "advantage" to my situtation is that I
35 still have all of kde, but updates are only applied to things that are
36 depended upon by my world file.
37
38 You'll have to do some manual work, but you can always build binary
39 packages of anything before unmerging it so that re-merging it is quite
40 sort. grep-ing your process list for package names (or vice-versa) can
41 easily confirm packages as used. Also, if your filesystem keeps track of
42 atimes, you can probably use those to help make decisions.
43
44 I'm not sure I *directly* addressed your questions, but HTH.
47 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
48 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
49 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
50 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh