From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] OT: Login incorrect
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 11:34:40
I have a problem.

I have an embedded device that does not let me gain access.

ssh is block, but I can telnet into the port, only to
be denied access.
<snip>
telnet 192.168.32.49
Trying 192.168.32.49...
Connected to 192.168.32.49.
Escape character is '^]'.

VxWorks login:
<snip>

nothing I try works for an account name
and corresponding password. I'm not sure
if this version (is acually Vxworks ?) is
based on their BSD or Linux based RTOS....

So I need a brute force method to gain access.
It allows about 8 login attempts (60 sec) before resetting:
<snip>
VxWorks login:

Login timed out after 60 seconds!
Connection closed by foreign host.
<snip>

Any suggestions to automate this brute force effort?
Maybe a fancy protocol-profiler program to look at the
results of (ICMP) packets[it answers pings] to determine
the actual underlying OS would be a good first step?
Other ideas/methods to profile the (RT)OS are of interests to me.

James