From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: New motherboard, usb-problems etc.
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 12:25:39
1 On 07/25/2011 03:44 AM, pk wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I just put together a new computer composed of an Asus motherboard (AMD
5 > 990FX chipset, "Sabertooth" model, i.e. this one:
6 > http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/SABERTOOTH_990FX/).
7
8 > Initially, the onboard usb devices worked fine in AMD64 Gentoo 11.0 live
9 > cd (via usb stick), which I used to install my system. Now, all usb
10 > ports (ohci & ehci except the xhci - 3.0 ones) seems dead (and, as it
11 > seems, the onboard NIC Realtek 8111e). The usb stick that I used for the
12 > Gentoo live doesn't boot (I've tried it in another computer as well)
13
14 So, you're saying that usb stick has actually changed in some way after
15 the install? That's certainly possible. Have you tried making a new
16 one from the live cd?
17
18 If two machines won't boot from your live install usb stick then there
19 must be something wrong with it, no?
20
21 The point is to boot the live cd (usb stick) and make a list of all the
22 drivers the kernel is using when the hardware is working correctly, and
23 then build your own kernel using the same drivers.