From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Emerge and CPU core usage
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2019 07:36:24
1 Howdy,
2
3 I don't recall seeing the thread on the forums but it sort of sounds a
4 lot like what I was reading on -dev as to why it is not.  Basically, it
5 would be a complex and difficult piece of code.  According to some, it
6 could even create problems that don't exist now, depending on what
7 dependencies may pop into the process.
8
9 It would be nice IF it could be done and really help with the time it
10 takes to calculate but it sounds like it might not even help much if it
11 was coded that way.  I guess it won't be done anytime soon.  It seems
12 like for good reason but it would be nifty.
13
14 I might add, I think that forum thread was way earlier than the posts on
15 -dev.  I think the discussion on -dev was only a few years ago.  All in
16 all, the emerge command has come a long ways since I started uses Gentoo
17 back in 2003.
18
19 Thanks for the info.
20
21 Dale
22
27 Woohyung Jeon wrote:
28 > I can't be sure whether these links will help, but there were conversations.
29 >
30 > https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-866779-start-0.html
31 > https://www.reddit.com/r/Gentoo/comments/68psrz/why_does_emerge_calculate_dependencies_on_a/
32 >