From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE Plasma sound not working
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2022 16:20:45
1 On Thursday, 16 June 2022 17:10:38 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Wednesday, 15 June 2022 17:29:54 BST Julien Roy wrote:
3 > > On 6/15/22 06:52, Peter Humphrey wrote:
4 > > > I do something like that by copying a good user account as a basis for
5 > > > the
6 > > > next iteration. The problem is just the fineness of granularity that's
7 > > > needed, now that a coarse grain hasn't helped. Hey-ho. Here we must go
8 > > > again...
9 > >
10 > > What is certain is that the issue is caused by a file in your home
11 > > directory, since creating a new user fixes the problem.
12 >
13 > Having spent several hours at this today, I've concluded that the problem is
14 > caused by the Startpage add-on to Firefox. Specifically, startpage 1.3 and
15 > Firefox 71.10. Early in the stepwise setting everything up, I started
16
17 91.10.
18
19 > Firefox, set its typefaces and so on, then installed Startpage. The sound
20 > system stopped working instantly. I removed Startpage and the sound came
21 > back. A reboot confirmed that no lasting damage had been done. So, I'm now
22 > using 'EU Startpage - Unofficial', which seems to working well so far.
23 >
24 > > What may help you to be more specific with this would be to list what
25 > > files were modified since the last time audio worked; for example, `find
26 > > $HOME -mtime 0` will show files modified in the last 24 hours
27 > >
28 > > You might want to run this command on .config or .kde directories to see
29 > > what could have changed, although it's true that it might take a while
30 > > to pin point it...
31 > >
32 > > Another option, since you mention that you re-created your user multiple
33 > > times, is to just delete specific folders, reboot, and try audio. Maybe
34 > > start with .config as that would be the most obvious culprit. If that
35 > > doesn't work, try .kde (not sure if that folder is in ~/ or ~/.config),
36 > > then other directories.
37 >
38 > I'll stick with the system I have for the moment, thanks. I'll also report
39 > the problem to the developers.
40 >
41 > > Also, did you check `dmesg` to see if there are any errors related to
42 > > the audio device/driver? Try `dmesg --level=err,warn`
43 >
44 > Thanks for your ideas, Julien.
48 Regards,
49 Peter.