From: Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: power requirement (WAS: smartctrl drive error @60%)
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 23:18:31
1 On 27/06/14 01:05, Daniel Frey wrote:
2 > On 06/26/2014 09:19 AM, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
3 >> Gosh, power must be really cheap in your corner of the world (or is it just
4 >> stupidly expensive over here?) I wouldn’t call 150 W “only”, especially for
5 >> a 24/7 device. Or is that the maximum under load?
8 > Where I am power 7.52 cents per kWh. However, if you go over a certain
9 > amount per billing period (in my area it's 1376 kWh) the price increases
10 > to 11.2 cents per kWh for anything above that limit.
11 >
12 > In comparison to around the world, I know we are on the low end of power
13 > cost.
14 >
15 > When I build a PC, I don't even think anything about its power
16 > requirements. Lately though I've been going to smaller form factors for
17 > convenience, and due to this I can take advantage of better energy
18 > efficiency. When I shop for appliances, etc. I do consider the power
19 > consumption. I guess I'm strange that way.
20 >
21 > Dan
25 http://www.synergy.net.au/at_home/smartpower_sm1_tariff.xhtml
26
27 47.7c peak time - wish I could run a lead over to your place :)
28
29 I run ~16hrs a day and power down when I am asleep. Once power gets to
30 these levels you are forced to start rationalising. I use raspberry
31 pi's for some functions that need 24hr uptime (IP security camera image
32 storage etc.) and moved to a cisco router instead of my former (and
33 better) gentoo based firewall router.
34
35 BillK