From: Jarry <mr.jarry@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Server system date synchronizaion
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 14:54:03
1 On 26-Apr-13 16:10, Joseph wrote:
2 > On 04/25/13 10:33, Nick Khamis wrote:
3 >>
4 >> We are trying to sync our server's time with an accurate ntp
5 >> server, and was wondering which of the many solutions are
6 >> considered viable. I did see the
7 >> http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Time_Synchronization.
8 >> Our services are quite time sensitive.
9 >
10 > put this script on a cron and enjoy :-)
11 >
12 > #!/bin/sh
13 > /usr/bin/rdate -s 128.138.140.44
14 > /sbin/hwclock --systohc
15
16 Yeah, enjoy mysterious crashes of some services which die
17 whenever system time changes rapidly, in one big step
18 (i.e. dovecot, TS, etc)!
19
20 Man, I sincerely hope you do *NOT* mean this seriously.
21 It might work on desktop but that's definitely NOT the way
22 time on servers should be updated! Some services are so
23 sensitive they crash even if you shift time 0.2s back
24 or forth!
25
26 I had even to include "tinker step 0" in my ntpd.conf
27 just because of that problem (it means ntpd will now never
28 adjust time by stepping, always only by slewing, which in
29 my case is max 0.5ms per second)...
30
31 Jarry
32 --
34 This mailbox accepts e-mails only from selected mailing-lists!
35 Everything else is considered to be spam and therefore deleted.