From: Jeff <jmg_071769@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] tar over ssh
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 20:29:44
1 This example that Francesco illustrates seems to work pretty well. I
2 guess my main concern was with tar - would it be able to handle a
3 filesystem this large? Myself, I haven't seen or heard any scary stories
4 thus far. Anyone shed light on tar limitations?
5
6 Thanks for all the colorful replies.
7
8 :-)
9
10 -Jeff
11
12 Francesco Riosa wrote:
13 > Jeff wrote:
14 >
15 >>Hey guys.
16 >>
17 >>I've got this big fat backup server with no space left on the hard drive
18 >>to store a tar file. I'd like to pipe a tar through ssh, but not sure
19 >>what the command would be. Something to the effect of:
20 >>
21 >># cat /var/backup | ssh backup.homelan.com 'tar data.info.gz'
22 >>
23 >>So that, the data is actually being sent over ssh, and then archived on
24 >>the destination machine.
27 > tar -zcf - /var/backup | ssh backup.homelan.com "( cat > data.info.gz )"
28 >
29 > something similar, probably is possible to avoid the use of cat bat
30 > don't came in mind at the moment
33 Officer:
34 We've analyzed their attack, sir, and there is a danger.
35 Should I have your ship standing by?
36 Governor Tarkin:
37 Evacuate? In our moment of triumph? I think you
38 overestimate their chances.
41 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list