From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USB sound
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2020 15:11:33
1 On Tuesday, 28 April 2020 15:21:09 BST Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 6:51 AM Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
3
4 --->8
5
6 > OK, so card 0 is using snd_hda_intel. Card 0 is most likely the default
7 > location that sound is going. Blacklisting it will help. That said you have
8 > 2 USB devices so we need to be careful about extra confusion there. For
9 > simplicity you might just unplug the webcam (if you can - if this is a
10 > built-in in a laptop then I understand you have limitations.)
11
12 --->8
13
14 > > Nope. No pulseaudio.
15 >
16 > What is the output of pulseaudio at the command line?
17
18 Not found.
19
20 > Or maybe just no pluseaudio tools, or whatever it's called on Gentoo
21 > assuming it's a separate package. I'm no longer running Gentoo (I just find
22 > this list the best place to get real info) A quick google for pavucontrol
23 > suggests you can emerge media-sound/pavucontrol to get it.
24
25 Do I need it? I have sound without it. To install it I'd have to set the
26 pulseaudio USE flag; then emerge -uaDvN @world would reinstall 19 packages and
27 install 10 new ones.
28
29 > Use KDE systemsettings, search for sound, choose 'Multimedia', Under 'Audio
30 > Volume' what do you see? What device is set as default? (This part of
31 > systemsettings is very similar to pavucontrol but it doesn't give you the
32 > VU meters which are nicely visible to see what apps are generating audio.
33
34 KDE system settings have changed since your day, Mark; there's now no
35 reference to the hardware at all under Multimedia; only CDDB. There's no
36 useful USE flag on it.
37
38 --->8
39
40 > > Third, I haven't any alsa packages installed, except for alsamixer which I
41 > > installed to help with this problem (it didn't). There's no starting or
42 > > stopping alsa; KDE seems to have what it needs without alsa specifically.
43 > > That's why I had no asound.conf; it's also why I rebooted instead of doing
44 > > something less heavy handed. Then again, why do I need an asound.conf?
45 >
46 > No. The fact that you can cat "/proc/asound" asound being "Alsa Sound" says
47 > Alsa is running. Alsa talks to your sound card hardware and provides a
48 > "single application" interface to the sound cards. Pulseaudio provides a
49 > mixer so that multiple apps can all send sound to your hardware.
50
51 To clarify:
52 prh@peak ~ $ eix -Ic alsa
53 [I] media-libs/alsa-lib (1.2.2{tbz2}@22/04/20): Advanced Linux Sound
54 Architecture Library
55 prh@peak ~ $ eix -Ic audio
56 [I] media-libs/audiofile (0.3.6-r3(0/1){tbz2}@11/04/20): An elegant API for
57 accessing audio files
58
59 I can already send sound from several apps at once to the hardware - at least,
60 I could with the built-in Intel hardware. Time will tell how the USB device
61 fares. I think KDE must use media-libs/alsa-lib directly. It must be doing a
62 lot of work under the bonnet.
63
64 > I personally don't think you need asound.conf until you prove that you have
65 > a need to do some sort of non-standard configuration. That _might_ be
66 > defining a different default card but KDE can do that for you in system
67 > settings so my recommendation is no asound.conf for now. Use KDE as it's
68 > intended and (over the long run) I think it's more maintainable. However,
69 > you are completely free to use your system any way you want.
70
71 Thanks for your help.
74 Regards,
75 Peter.