From: Daniel Barkalow <barkalow@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] xmms alternative
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 06:24:47
1 On Fri, 27 Oct 2006, Walter Dnes wrote:
2
3 > > > f) it has no good alternative :-(
4 > > >
5 > >
6 > > it has. amarok, alsaplayer, xine....
7 >
8 > [m3000][root][~] emerge --ask alsaplayer
9 >
10 > These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
11 >
12 > Calculating dependencies
13 > emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "alsaplayer".
14 >
15 > OK guys, where is alsaplayer hiding?
16 >
17 > xine ==> almost as bloated as Windows Media Player. I want a simple
18 > *AUDIO PLAYER* dammit, not some honking big "multi-media" package that
19 > takes forever to build. I've had problems building xine, and swear by
20 > mplayer. I'd sooner use mplayer than xine.
21 >
22 > amarok ==> Even worse than xine. It's a Windows Media Player wannabee
23 > bloated frontend that ends up launching xine. In addition to building
24 > xinelib, it also builds kde-base, ruby, and a bunch of other junk.
25
26 I think you want audacious, which seems to be xmms painted white and
27 actively maintained.
28
29 -Daniel
30 *This .sig left intentionally blank*