From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] boot problems
Date: Mon, 05 May 2014 06:11:12
1 Am 04.05.2014 21:22, schrieb J. Roeleveld:
2 > On Sunday, May 04, 2014 09:03:08 PM Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
3
4 >> People run KVM-hosts with storage on ZFS ... nice with the
5 >> snapshots etc ...
6 >
7 > Does KVM support running snapshots? Eg. also storing the memory and
8 > registers? I have not found any indication that KVM supports that.
9 >
10 > Without that, KVM is useless to me.
11
12 KVM != ZFS ... you could use ZFS with other hypervisors.
13
14 AFAI understand you can take snapshots using libvirt (which in turn
15 controls the underlying qemu-kvm etc).
16
17 > I thought the MBR info that's possible with GPT would make it
18 > possible with any BIOS? Provided the /boot partition is early enough
19 > on the disk.
20
21 I had no separate /boot ... just sda1 as "BIOS boot partition",
22 unformatted and with partition type ef02 (and sda2 as my gentoo-root).
23
24 >> I also wanted to partition the SSD according to the Erase Block
25 >> Size of 6144 kB by this way ... dunno if this is still needed or
26 >> has any real speed benefits.
27 >
28 > Again, I would expect current tools should do that automagically?
29
30 Maybe.
31
32 >> Maybe I take another approach to migrate to UEFI/GPT in the next
33 >> days, now that I have my rsynced filesystems at hand (I got rid of
34 >> more LVs and stuff so it gets pretty slim now).
35 >
36 > Less LVs is simpler. More is more flexible.
37
38 Exactly. But it was time to clean up a bit.
39
40 >>> booting works from BIOS/MBR.
41 >>
42 >> ... if your BIOS isn't crappy ;-)
43 >
44 > Try updating? :)
45
46 Never found an update for this box.
47
48 -> DMI: Hewlett-Packard HP Elite 7300 Series MT/2AB5, BIOS 7.12 10/12/2011
49
50 hints welcome ;-)
53 > Seriously, do you have the following:
54 >
55 > *** # man gdisk artemis ~ # gdisk -l /dev/sda GPT fdisk (gdisk)
56 > version 0.8.8
57 >
58 > Partition table scan: MBR: protective
59 >
60 > ***
61 >
62 > That last line of what I copied is the bit that should make it
63 > possible.
64 >
65 > Also, the /boot partition needs to have the mbr-boot flag (or
66 > whatever it's called) enabled.
67
68 Thanks, but I had that as well ... I will skip that stuff and try going
69 the UEFI-way later this day, if my customers allow ...
70
71 Stefan