From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev rules and boot + SCSI disks
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 16:58:31
1 On 5/30/06, Leandro Melo de Sales <leandroal@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Richard,
3 >
4 > You said that one rule can override other, but if you read udev
5 > manual ( http://www.reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html ), you'll
6 > realize that what you said I think is incorrect.
7
8 That is _not_ the "udev manual". I've also found that page to be
9 frequently out of date (it still listed the comparison operator as '='
10 instead of '==' for months after that changed).
11
12 >From "man udev":
13 := Assign a value to a key finally; disallow any later changes,
14 which may be used to prevent changes by any later rules.
15
16 And from /usr/share/doc/udev-*/RELEASE-NOTES.gz:
17
18 <quote>
20 ========
21 ...
22 o The rule keys support now more operations. This is documented in the
23 man page. It is possible to add values to list-keys like the SYMLINK
24 and RUN list with KEY+="value" and to clear the list by assigning KEY="".
25 Also "final"-assignments are supported by using KEY:="value", which will
26 prevent changing the key by any later rule.
27 ...
29 ========
30 All rules are applied now, but only the first matching rule with a NAME-key
31 will be applied. All later rules with NAME-key are completely ignored. This
32 way system supplied symlinks or permissions gets applied to user-defined
33 naming rules.
34 </quote>
35
36 So it looks like I am wrong about needing the := syntax when your rule
37 assigns the NAME. I just tested the behavior with udev-090 and my USB
38 flash drive, and it works as the RELEASE-NOTES say. But I also had a
39 problem with naming my input devices that was fixed with the :=
40 syntax.
41
42 -Richard
43 --