From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How can I turn off xterm console restore?
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 02:56:20
1 On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 12:56:02PM -0800, Bill Longman wrote
2
3 > You can always call it back up. The other window, that is. Just
4 > Ctrl-middle-click the xterm and choose "Show alternate screen".
5 >
6 > Presto.
7 >
8 > It's saved my bacon more than once....
9
10 Yes that works. There's an even better option listed when I middle-
11 click. The option "Enable Alternate Screen Switching" is checked by
12 default on my system. Unchecking it disables alternate screen
13 switching, which does what I was asking for. Thanks for pointing me in
14 the right direction.
15
16 The ultimate solution is to make this a default. Once I realized this
17 was an xterm setting, I plowed through "man xterm" and discovered...
18
19 > titeInhibit (class TiteInhibit)
20 > Specifies whether or not xterm should remove ti and te termcap
21 > entries (used to switch between alternate screens on startup of
22 > many screen-oriented programs) from the TERMCAP string. If
23 > set, xterm also ignores the escape sequence to switch to the
24 > alternate screen.
25
26 A Google search found
27 http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/XWindow-User-HOWTO/moreconfig.html
28 which includes the ~/.Xdefaults incantation...
29
30 ! Do not clear the screen after the program exits
31 XTerm*VT100*titeInhibit: true
35 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>