From: "Holger Hoffstätte" <holger.hoffstaette@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: This nite's switch to "full multilib"
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 10:43:43
1 On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 12:14:29 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 >> OK, then so why do I have to edit files to tell the system to USE this
4 >> and that after the system tells me it needs that ... ?
5 >>
6 >> Why isn't this taken care of within portage itself?
7 >>
8 >> I don't *want* to decide 32bit or not ... (I like that I *can* ...)
9 >>
10 >> I want a (mostly) stable and current linux system with the necessary
11 >> choices done by the maintainers ... if Skype needs it ... ok, then make
12 >> that a dependency/requirement somewhere ... but why force me to set that
13 >> (for so many packages) ?
14 >
15 > OK, think it through first.
16
17 Sure thing.
18
19 > You want skype. Skype is 32bit. So far, we're good. You put an entry in
20 > package.use to enable abi_x86_32 for skype.
21
22 Except..at that point you would have already failed.
23
24 There is no good reason whatsoever why portage shouldn't be able to treat
25 this like a transitive required USE flag requirement, percolating through
26 all libs from the toplevel requirement's dependency tree.
27
28 In fact it should do so automatically when the ebuild declares the abi_x86_32
29 constraint from the start, without requiring the user to do anything.
30
31 There are other reasons why coupling the native and 32-bit worlds together is
32 a bad idea in the long-term, regardless of understandable technical reasons
33 and good intentions.
34
35 So yeah: think it through first.
36