From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge xfce-base/thunar: lobotomy needed
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 01:12:16
1 On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 7:53 PM, Chris Stankevitz
2 <chrisstankevitz@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > I installed xfce4-meta and was a little surprised to see it did not
4 > come with thunar. When I tried to install it, portage became upset.
5 >
6 > Question: is it normal that I would have to ~amd64 a bunch of packages
7 > and deal with slot conflicts and static-libs to install a file
8 > manager? FYI I am running a "stable" (non-~AMD64) system.
9 >
10 > Thank you,
11
12 The problem seems to be the use of static libraries (which I firmly
13 believe are completely useless in a modern Linux system). I don't have
14 enabled *any* static nor static-libs flag in my whole system (a full
15 fledged GNOME 3 desktop), and neither in my server.
16
17 Try reemerging world with USE="-static -static-libs", and then try to
18 emerge thunar also with USE="-static -static-libs".
19
20 Regards.
21 --
22 Canek Peláez Valdés